Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Clarification

In response to a number of emails and comments indicating that I'm a dick or a jerk (I am), I thought I'd clarify my position on my last post, as if I need to explain myself (and I don't).

1) Guy was holding money in his hand as if he was wanting to purchase a drink. Not get a water, which is universally free everywhere. I don't charge money for or expect tips for water or coke or sprite or any other non-alcoholic beverage we serve. People are often surprised by this and I often refuse tips when informing them of this.

2) As I took his order, not as I returned with it, he put his money in his pocket that he was obviously holding in his hand on the bar in order to get my attention.

3) Yes, as in many other bars downtown, we have a "self serve" water cooler. As I've outlined before, drunk people can only see about 3 feet in any one direction at any one time, so the odds of them discovering this self serve goodie is extremely low. I could have been a dick and told him to get it on his own, but I didn't. I made him his damn water for free without expecting anything in return.

My gripe in this matter was the fact he obviously misled me without any intention of purchasing anything in order to get his free beverage more quickly.

If you've worked in the industry and can't understand why that would rub me the wrong way, then you're an idiot. At the end of the day, it's how much money you're walking out with in your pocket. That's the only thing that matters. If you're not in the industry and you can't understand why that rubs me the wrong way, then I don't give a fuck.

And there you have it.

3 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha well I still love you, Athens doorguy! and ..."My gripe in this matter was the fact he obviously misled me without any intention of purchasing anything in order to get his free beverage more quickly.
" sounds like my dating life :)

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After a few beers I have gone up to the bar with cash in hand intending to order a drink. When the bartender acknowledges me, I have sometimes realized I've probably had enough and it's time to go, so I change my mind at the last minute and get a water or a coke. I always tip, but I have gotten a rude look before because when the bartender went to get my water, he didn't notice that I put a buck in the tip jar. All he saw was me putting my wallet back in my pocket.

When I read your reactive, melodramatic post about this, I thought that may have been what this guy did. Maybe he didn't tip, but if you don't take tips for water, I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt. You're always bitching on here about people who don't know when to stop drinking. Here's someone who knew when to stop and you're bitching about that, too.

Quit 'yer bitchin'!

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a former employee of the service industry, I fully agree that it was a dick move to hold money out and then order water.

As noble as it is to suddenly realize that you've had just enough and then change your mind at the last second, I'm sure that is the exception to the rule.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home