Thursday, March 27, 2008

This Is What It Does

It makes me angry, cynical and nervous. I'm perpetually pissed off with no outlet for the steam thats slowly been building up inside me. Standing at the door and receiving taunts from those that aren't up to standards night after night after night takes its toll on you after awhile.

I've done it for so fucking long that it's even begun to change my perspective on the world, on people, on everything. Everyone's an idiot. No one makes any sense. Why is this person screaming at me, questioning me, threatening me and proclaiming their intention to hurt me?

You may think that I'm being dramatic or exaggerating. I'm not. When was the last time that a complete stranger told you to fuck off? Even better, when was the last time that a total stranger threatened your life or threw a fist at you? When was the last fight you were in? Unless you can consistently say that those things have happened to you in the last month, then you'll never understand.

Us doormen are assholes. Meatheads. Drunk with our authority, we're obviously all on a power trip. But those of you who know, know. We know it's not all fun and games, drinking and banging sorority girls. It's a tough job for which not everyone is suited to do. My hat is off to those around town who do it nightly. My hat's off to all doormen, in fact.

Working the door from time to time around here won't take such a toll on the average doorman downtown, but stay there long enough and you'll begin looking for the opportunity to swing away on the next poor sucker who mouths off to you when you ask for their ID.

And because of all of that, I'm taking somewhat of a leave of absence from the door for the time being. I'll still be in the bar business, and the blog shall continue much to the dismay of anyone who gives a fuck, but hopefully this change will bring somewhat of a fresh perspective, to both myself and to this website.

3 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger Katie Bonk said...

Sounds like a good idea. I can see where all of that bullshit can take a toll on you, and you don't want that pent up anger to come out and get you in trouble! Good luck with the new changes. I look forward to reading about them. :)

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you mate, can't wait till I'm in position to do the same myself.

In just under an hour I'm going to embark on a 8 1/2 hour long nightmare of a corporate bash where some bank has hired the joint for the whole night. Pity me.

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

after several instances of watching drunk couples fight, street performers hassled by drunk frat boys, and douche bags bitching to door guys, i took a leave of absence from downtown altogether. it is a good thing.
I've since managed to avoid most of the bullshit by never going south of washington, but now i have these smug townies who have a problem with me because i have a job, or a future. don't give up on humanity though. athens is a unique place

 

Post a Comment

<< Home