Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Great Friday, Actually.

Every Good Friday they come out. It's the huge group of people from a local church who decided that making one of their church members drag a cross on his back through the streets of downtown while dressed as Romans, the devil and onlookers cheering Jesus' execution as blood pours down his face wearing a crown of thorns, would be the best way to spend their night.

I watch it every year (and more often than that, occasionally) and I have to wonder what the hell they're thinking? They all hold signs up that list various sins such as abortion, jealously, and drunkeness. The devil is holding a sign that says "See You In Hell" and makes a point of showing it to the kids in the outdoor patios drinking who look on in confusion and disbelief. They'll stop every few feet, lean the cross up against a light pole, attach Jesus to it like they're crucifying him, and then say a few words - street preaching, actually - only to continue on to the next street corner and do the same thing over again.

It's one of the strangest things I see downtown. It seems to me, at least, to be one big show of judging all the drunk college kids and telling them they're going to hell. It's a shitshow, really, and some people out get really offended, some of us just laugh, and the rest of the kids are just too drunk to realize what the hell is really going on.

But this year, I had to really crack up when I saw the judgement parade coming down the street with the signs and the yelling and the guy dressed up with a devil mask on, all of them pointing at the drunk kids, condemning them to an eternal damnation.

One of the people in the group had a colorful sign that said "Happy Easter".

To me, at least, it seemed a tad out of place.

4 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was out on Friday and saw this display myself. It was a first for me and I was taken aback, as well as surprised. The Happy Easter guy was certainly out of place.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

+1 for using the word "shitshow"

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Katie Bonk said...

Yeah, I'm really going to want to go to that church- they seem so welcoming and non-judgemental!Those people are nuts and their religion scares me.
We saw a sign outside of a bar on Easter Sunday that said something about "Celebrate Jesus, have a beer". We giggled and moved on, then when we walked back by, it was erased. We assume that someone was offended, so they had to change it. I wish I had taken a picture of it now!

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im really sorry for things like that parade. i know it's not my fault, but sometimes i don't want to tell people i am a christian because of crap like that. it's because christians are not who i am following, it is jesus, and he is better than anything else i know of. so please, please don't base any opinion of jesus off of that, he is so much more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home