Tuesday, December 04, 2007

To Clarify...

A few posts ago I mentioned that come January 1st, bar employees couldn't drink anymore on the job. I guess I wasn't very clear on what I understand the law to be, so I'll go into a little detail here.

Apparently, when the county commissioners office passed a few new laws, one being that you have to be 21 to work in a bar downtown (which actually doesn't go into effect until the summer), they slid another law into the mix that prohibits bar employees from drinking while they're at work.

This is what I've been told, so I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, but it certainly was more than what we had expected. In addition to being 21 to work in a bar and having to charge a minimum price after a certain time, oh by the way, we can't drink anymore when we're at work on the clock.

What the hell?

This is a big fucking deal to those I happen to mention it to. Which, so far, no one seems aware of when I tell them of what I've heard.

99% of the guys I've talked to, even at other bars, hate the idea. As I mentioned before, I don't think it's a bad idea for reasons previously mentioned, but I do think that the overly controling Athens-Clarke County government doesn't need to be the one who decides whether we can drink at work or not. That's up the owner and management of a business, not the fucking government. We may as well go back to prohibition the way things are going around here lately.

So in about 3 1/2 weeks, we'll see what happens. Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger Katie Bonk said...

This is amusing to me only because we live such different lives. I'm sitting at my desk thinking of all the complaints I have made to upper-management, and it makes me giggle to think what would happen if I complained that I was not able to drink at work. In the County Tax office. ha!

I can definitely see where a drunk doorman could be an issue, but I agree that it should be up to the bar owner to make that decision- he would be the one liable if anything went down.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Adrian Pritchett said...

Welcome to a regulated business. Millions of people work in them. It sound like those who grant the alcohol licenses make the rules, and they're always right -- always.

Right?

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger AthensDoorGuy said...

Quite an interesting play on words that I wrote myself. You're very clever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home