Friday, August 31, 2007

This is Why

I do this job, despite my constant bitching, because of two simple reasons.

The absolute best thing about my job is that I go to work every night, and I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen. I find that to be the single most attractive part of it all. I've seen some of the craziest, funniest, most unbelievable things just watching over college kids getting intoxicated night after night. I've seen police chases, people getting arrested, fights, buildings on fire, ridiculously massive crowds, kids hooking up in bathrooms or in plain view, drunk kids tripping, spitting, fighting, staggering, saying and doing hilarious things, talking shit and generally being extremely entertaining when they're not directing their drunken antics in my direction.

If nothing else, I can go into work every single night and know that I have no idea what's in store for me. I can be bored out of my mind and I won't crack a smile all night over anything, or I can spend the majority of the night laughing at the funny shit drunk kids do.

There really should be a reality show for my bar. I'm serious.

The second reason I like doing what I do is my coworkers. A regular, normal guy has guy friends. We all do. But one of the real test for a friend - as a guy, at least - is when the shit hits the fan. Say you get in a fight and somebody double-teams you while your friend is there with you. Then the question is, does your friend jump in and help? Even if you've known the kid for years and years but have never been in a situation that called for him to jump in and physically back you up, you really don't know what he going to do or what he's capable of.

Well for the guys I work with, I do. I know that they've got my best interests at heart and wouldn't hesitate to jump in and help me with whatever I need. And the same is true of me for them. I've got a bunch of guys with me every night I'm at the bar and we're all on the same team. And that's a great feeling. If you've never had a group of friends like that, then I highly recommend that you find some.

And that, in a nutshell, are two reasons why I do what I do.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, Blogger Turvallisuuden tekijä said...

I have to say that i agree with your reasons why like about your job. I`ve been doing the doors for about 8 years here in Helsinki, Finland. Keep up the good work.

Bouncer from Finland

 

Post a Comment

<< Home