Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Coming Out With It

I've decided to come clean with most everything I can come clean about in regards to this site.

The truth is, I don't work downtown anymore. I haven't for some time now. If you want specifics, then go elsewhere because you won't get them here.

I did my time in the bar scene...the better part of 6 years, actually. I did it all. I saw just about everything I could possibly imagine to see, worked with some of the finest people I've ever met, and was a part of something fun and special from time to time.

But the bottom line is that it wore on me. I couldn't do it forever. I certainly gave it my best shot, and I tried several bars on for size to see which one fit me the best, but the truth is, none of them did. I outlived my love of working downtown, and my love turned into frustration and anger at the point in life that I had found myself in.

I was frustrated at the never ending stream of bullshit I put up with every night, frustrated at my lack of ability to do something else of importance with my life, frustrated that I could never make a difference in every drunk college kid who annoyed me, and mostly frustrated that I could never make a difference in myself. At least while maintaining my employement downtown.

I took my frustrations and turned them into aggression that I let loose on nights I worked. I hurt people, most who deserved to be hurt. I'm not sorry for those. The only thing I regret are those I hurt who could have just walked away. Someone else would have dished out justice to them somewhere else along the way, I'm sure. But it ended up being me.

I simply didn't like what I had turned into, and I didn't like the road I had found myself on. So I don't work down there anymore. In fact, I don't even live in Athens anymore. I've left.

I visited downtown recently, and found the same things going on as when I left. I wasn't amused. I tried it back on for size for a little bit, and found it to be uncomfortable. I had made the right choice.

So it isn't fair for me, or anyone who reads this blog, to continue on like I still work downtown. I don't. I'm a former employee now, thank God. So updates will be few and far between at this point. I don't have the motivation or interest to continue on with all things downtown Athens. I'm not a part of it and I - hopefully - never will be again.

However, I've decided to post a few stories that have happened in the past, without any kind of editing, in the near future. Check back from time to time and you may be pleasantly surprised.

My time downtown was fun, drunken, scary, violent, exciting, and most of all, it's all over.

10 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah right - we all know you're not 21 yet and got laid off because of the underage bar stings.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Elizabeth A. said...

Anon, how does that even make sense??

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, somebody hacked your blog!

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Trails....

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Adrian Pritchett said...

We'll stay tuned.

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you are a bouncer I would like to know what the laws are in regards to attacking people? Are you allowed to touch somone even if they don't touch you? Even if you get pissed at someone it does not give you the right to physically touch them.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well elizabeth, it would make sense if you lived in Athens and followed the recent debate surrounding the minimum age requirements to work in a bar. if you're not 21, you can't work in any of Athens' fine watering holes.

poorly worded original comment though, so fair enough.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude got canned 'cause he was under 21.

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not right for you to take out your anger and frustration on other people. Glad you are away from the bar scene. It obviously makes you miserable.

I've worked in bars for near 20 years and am all too familiar with the meathead bouncers and how they like to brag about whose ass they kicked that night. Give someone a little power and watch them turn into a total douchebag.

Congratulations on moving on! You know this shit would drive you completely insane. Wise to give yourself a break.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous no tip no 2nd drink said...

Yeah, man. I gotta wonder what I will do next. I've been at it for 5 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home