Thursday, March 01, 2007

Discrimination

This article appeared today in the Red and Black, which is the Universities student-run paper.

It's apparent this kid has never worked at a bar. He holds the commonly misguided and mistaken idea that anyone and everyone has a right to be inside any bar they please whenever they want. This, of course, is totally wrong. The entire purpose of a "door guy" is to filter out the people that shouldn't be in a bar. It's why I spend 7 hours a night standing in a fucking doorway looking at IDs and getting called names. I'll bet he's the guy who wants to stand there & relentlessly argue with me about his buddy getting rejected as if he knows more about my job than I do. He obviously dropped the race card with the door guy, even more so now since there's an entire fucking article about it.

This line of thinking drives me nuts. A bar/club is private property and they can refuse entry to anyone for any reason. Yes, even if they're black. They probably won't tell you that though. Sorry sir, you're black so I can't let you in.

I certainly don't condone the idea that people of color are not allowed inside a business simply because they're not white, but the fact is that a bar owner can run his business any way he pleases. It's his right. There certainly are bar owners who do this, and while I can't agree with them morally, I agree that they are entitled to that right and I am not going to be the one to tell him he can't have that right any more.

The fact is, I routinely don't let people in every single night for a dozen different reasons. If you're too drunk, if you're dressed like a thug or a redneck, if I think you're sketchy and will scare the little sorority girls, or if I just plain don't like you then you're not getting in. I've been called a racist more times than I can count. Yes, even by white guys, believe it or not (I'm white, for the record).

The article states that his indian friend even offered to remove his chain and put it in his car, but the bouncer still wouldn't let him inside. This tells me that there was another reason besides dress code that he wasn't being let in. The writer, of course, jumped to the conclusion that it was because the kid is an indian, but I submit that they were probably mouthing off to the door guy or any number of other reasons besides the fact that the guy isn't white.

I also submit that Bourbon Street caters specifically to the extemely underaged, white, fraternity/sorority crowd. This is no mystery to anyone who has been downtown more than a few times. I've been rejected at Bourbon Street for dress code. Twice. Of course, I respectfully talked my way in both times.

Just because the writer thought his friends was wearing "dress clothes" and was "overdressed for most bars downtown" doesn't mean shit. Again, thats what the guy posted at the door is for. Your opinion doesn't mean anything to them. It's theirs that counts. The hip hop retard tries to tell me how much his clothes cost, but door guys don't care. You look retarded and you're not coming in even if your fly new athletic gear cost you "more than I make in a month". Whatever.

We follow the same policy Bourbon Street does. If you're out of dress code, then you're done for the night. No, you can't take off your do-rag and put it in your pocket. No, you can't go back to your car and change out of your jersey. Scarface jacket? Fuck no. No, you can't tuck in that fucking gown that you call a white-T. You're done. You're not coming in. Because if I do let you in, it never fails...you will have your stupid little do-rag back on within 5 minutes and your shirt will be untucked and you'll make the place look like its fucking hip hop night.

Simply put, I have no problem discriminating against the hip hop fashion. It's not discriminating against blacks. Simply because blacks wear that style more than other races doesn't mean that bars dislike anyone besides white people. The entire hip hop culture is a ridiculous phenomenon that glorifies violence, gangs and material possessions. So all of the little sheep that listen to that shit and take it seriously dress like they're a rap superstar or a gangster. Or a crack dealer.

It's been my experience that these people (the hip hop retards) buy a drink or two, usually Hennessey and coke or a "hen and hyp" (hypnotic), and tip a fucking quarter. They are disrespectful, start fights, travel in packs known as "crews" and threaten door guys. If anyone remembers Annex (where The Loft is located now) that place was a madhouse. There were fights all the time, both by white and black wanna-be gangsters. I'm glad that place is gone. It seems since then, the little Madison county white trash and the thugs have, for the most, part left downtown.

So yes, I am discriminating. Bars DO discriminate. We discriminate against thugs, rednecks, white trash and anyone who looks like they'll be a problem or will start trouble or won't be an asset to the crowd. I don't care if you're fucking purple with pink polka-dots, as long as you're dressed respectfully then you won't have a problem getting in. Dress how you'd like to be treated. End of story.

5 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in full agreement with the realities of bar life as you have outlined them. See www.tightrope.cc/jokes.htm and have a hearty laugh !

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once enjoyed the wonderful bar life of Athens,GA years ago as a student. The bar scene and night life of Savannah,GA is worse than pathetic. I stay home and surf the internet. This is John Wellington.

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

savannah, ga is ok... its no athens but u can still have a great time downtown and even tybee if u know where to go

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand where you're coming from on a lot of this, I promote for clubs in Atlanta, Buckhead, Johns Creek, and Cumming. However, I was turned down here because I have snake bite piercings. Not loops, just little studs. Nice jeans, dress shoes, Abercrombie long sleeve button-up shirt, and styled hair. I work a professional job during the day, which sees no problem with the way I look, however this place is against it. No piercings, no visible tats. While I can't say that I WANT to spend my money at a place like this after reading the reviews on the net, I can say that it fucked with my mood for the night, and for that I'd like nothing more than to put 200 nicely dressed, tat'd, and pierced people at the door until they let people in, shut it down, or called the cops.

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Hip Hop glorifies money, violence, or the objectifying of women any more than good ole rock n' roll. I agree with most of your post but if you're going to be objective, follow through buddy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home