Thursday, February 14, 2008

Fake IDs

There's always a few of these in the paper every year or two.

Being at the door of a popular bar downtown, I have the unique perspective to have a "finger to the wind" so to speak, to the going-ons of which fake IDs happen to be in circulation at the moment.

I see it constantly, and it doesn't take long for me to figure out that there's a random guy printing fake Florida IDs up somewhere in his apartment when a new crop of them begin to present themselves to me by obviously underaged kids on the weekends.

Let's not forget the wonderful North Carolina IDs that were in circulation some time ago, or the Texas IDs before that. I see a lot of manufactured and/or altered Georgia IDs, but the good ones are few and far between. As of now, Florida happens to be a popular state to manufacture, and let me tell you...whoever's making them makes some shitty-ass IDs. If you're reading this, get a different job, dude. Because I just don't think forgery is in your cards.

All to say, the article in the paper is a nice little insight to whats going on downtown, but take a moment to think: what if the downtown police had been working with doormen all along? Don't you think a few questions by them from time to time might provide a little more insight more quickly than simply the police officers taking them up themselves whenever they have a run-in with a drunk 18 year old? Perhaps instead of threatening to give us background checks and license us or breathalyze us to make sure we're not drinking ourselves to death at work while letting underaged girls offer sexual favors to get them inside, maybe you could see if we'd like to help you instead of being the target of your threats?

Even better, I bet the government could put an even bigger dent in the fake ID manufacturing operation if those in power would go one step further and offer bars and doormen an incentive to confiscate fake IDs and cut off their use at the earliest point possible. If I had any incentive to do that, I'd be delivering a sack-full of the things to the police almost every single night.

But I don't have an incentive. No bar does. I'm not even aware of any bars that offer incentives to their employees soley as an internal policy for confiscating fake IDs. Why not? It's pretty simple: Because nobody really gives a flying fuck.

So until then, I'll just reject the poor, underaged soul and hand them their fake ID back for them to try and get into the next bar. And eventually, they'll get in and drink and the cycle will repeat itself until the county gets serious and actually passes a law that's worth a shit.

4 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

But I don't have an incentive. No bar does. I'm not even aware of any bars that offer incentives to their employees soley as an internal policy for confiscating fake IDs.

Not true. The bar I work at has a cash incentive and I've collected HUNDREDS of dollars in incentives.
Sorry, can't tell you where I work. At least not until you tell us all where you work. :) But, suffice it to say, I've ruined many a spoiled crybaby's night by putting their ID in my pocket and telling them to go away.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and yes, this bar is in Athens, GA.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger AthensDoorGuy said...

Fair enough. I certainly can't speak for all bars, but it's safe to say that there's are more bars than not that don't have any type of policy for fake IDs besides rejecting them and sending the offending 18 year old on their way.

Kudos to you for taking them up on a regular basis! I wish we had a policy like that. I have my own little policy for taking up fakes, but unfortunately, it's not a habit. Keeep it up man. Every fake that you take up is one less fake ID that I have to laugh at when they try to present it at my bar.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Adrian Pritchett said...

Perhaps instead of threatening to give us background checks and license us or breathalyze us to make sure we're not drinking ourselves to death at work while letting underaged girls offer sexual favors to get them inside, maybe you could see if we'd like to help you instead of being the target of your threats?

That's a damn good point. I would think that the government would take fake IDs more seriously, and I would think that cutting them out would reduce underage drinking a good bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home