Tuesday, September 25, 2007

History

Believe it or not, I've quit the bar business several times over the years.

When I first started out at a small bar downtown, one in which I happened to be a regular in myself, I thought it was the greatest job in the world. I got to hang out with the people I'd normally be hanging out with while downtown anyway, have a few drinks, clean some stuff up, and get paid for it all. It didn't take long for it to totally consume my life. 5am bedtimes don't mesh well with 8am class. College, my social life (outside the bar, that is), and relationships quickly took a backseat to everything bar related and it wasn't long before my significant other convinced me to quit.

As it so happens, I actually missed some of the things that had lost some importance, so I wasn't totally opposed to the idea of quitting myself. When you're only a customer downtown, things are fun and new and drunken and exciting. When you become a worker at a bar, something gets lost in translation and before you know it, things aren't so fun anymore when you try to go out and pretend to only be a customer again. It's tough to go back to that point.

And so I quit. And things sort of went back to the way the were before I was an employee downtown.

For awhile, that is.

But I missed the friends I made downtown, so when I was called up before a home game the next football season asking me to "help out, just for one game", it wasn't long before I was helping out - "temporarily," of course - for every home football game that season. My temporary employement extended itself magically to every football game weekend, home and away, and then after season ended, I began working every single weekend. Before long I was behind the bar and the next thing I knew, I was in management.

However, relationships and a lack of a social life outside the bar made me walk away once again, and I also wasn't too thrilled at my 60+ hour weeks, so my management stint was short-lived and I again quit the bar business.

Like before, a phone call from some other folks downtown brought me back out yet again and I found myself working in the bar business. This time around, the relationships that had endured the hardships of me working in the bar business were no longer interested in going through a third stint of my bar career.

So now I continue to work downtown, years and years later though all sorts of ups and downs in my personal nightly employement, serving drunken college students and I have no idea how much longer it's going to last. Lets hope not much longer at this point.

But then again, who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home